Preparing to Sell – For Sale by Owner
Homeowners who choose to sell their house without a listing agent maintain control of every aspect of selling their house. Having the right knowledge to For Sale by Owner, you will have the right buyers wanting to purchase from you!
1. Bypass paying the agents commission fees: The most common reason to FSBO is to avoid paying commissions, saving you THOUSANDS of dollars. Commissions average between 5% to 6% of the home’s purchase price and are usually paid by the seller from the proceeds of the sale and split between the two agents.
2. You have complete control of the listing (selling) price: Without an agent, you are the sole decision maker when it comes to your list price. Research the homes right in your neighborhood that have SOLD within the last 3 months, to see how your property stacks up against other similar homes nearby. For $300-$500, you can hire a licensed property appraiser to give you a real market value.
3. You manage the schedule of showings and open houses: Leaving your house for last-minute showings and all-day weekend open houses is a lot of work—not to mention having to keep your home pristine around the clock. When you are running the show, you get to decide when you want to show your home. Be flexible. Remember, you want to accommodate buyer’s time, so they don’t find another home to purchase. But YES! You should turn on all the lights on, open all blinds, and then please LEAVE! Don’t forget to take the pets with you!
4. Motivation to sell for top dollar: Because it’s your finances on the line, you’ll invest the time and energy to market and advertise your home in the best light. FSBO sellers can advertise online (where 79% of buyers say they search) such as Facebook. There are also some online services that can get your home listed on the MLS, usually for a flat fee under $1,000. Don’t forget about professional photos, signage, and print ads.
5. You are your neighborhood expert: You can speak to potential buyers about not just the home itself, but what it’s like to live in the neighborhood. Leave a print-out for buyers to take, sharing all the perks of your community. After all, you know your neighborhood best. Sharing that knowledge can be a huge selling point with buyers, especially if there is a Homeowners Association involved.
Be aware: When listing FSBO, it can be challenging to set aside your emotional attachment to your home and focus on the process of selling. When dealing with real estate sold by owners, acceptance of feedback from potential buyers is incredibly important. To help move your negotiations forward in a productive manner, be sure you know what your bottom-line price is and what concessions, (crediting money to the buyer for repairs or closing costs), if any, you’re open to making. This can help make negotiations more logical and less emotional.
Relax into the process and keep reminding yourself that it’s temporary. Soon, you will find a buyer and can look forward to moving on to the next phase in your life.
Confused about your home’s value? Click to read more HERE
By following these 5 simple steps, you will be well on your way to selling For Sale by Owner. You will be TOP on the buyer’s list as they are looking for their new home!
At South Florida Realty Professionals, our interests are aligned with yours, so we can be objective about assessing your situation and achieving your real estate goals.
Do you have questions about the For Sale by Owner home selling journey?
In my book, For Sale by Owner in Florida, I show you EXACTLY how you can sell your home , yourself, and save thousands of dollars in the process. You will have access to easy step by step actions to take, from the time you are just thinking about selling –>> to the closing.
With over 15 years experience, I provide you with all the knowledge, tips , no or low cost, and easy ways to keep you stress free. You can absolutely sell your home yourself !! Read this book before you look to hire an agent. (You might not need one!)
Since 2004, I have been a licensed real estate agent, working with and advising hundreds of Florida homeowners on how to save thousands of dollars when selling their home.
Whether it is your first time selling your home, or you’ve sold a home before, the home-selling process can be complicated.
Use this book as a guide to save thousands of dollars when selling your home. This book is full of answers to your questions, regarding the sale for your home.
Once you read through and followed the checklists, you will be able to sell your home yourself saving TENS of THOUSANDS of dollars, in commission fees!
But, even if you hire a real estate agent, with these easy steps, you are SURE to be successful!